About Lewis Seed
Two families. Over 150 years. Our story began in 1865, when a then 19-year-old Frederick N. Lewis moved from Springfield, KY to Louisville to join the firm of Bondurant, Todd, & Co. After acquiring an interest in the business in 1871, F.N. worked with a series of partners over the next five decades to build one of the most successful agricultural implement and seed businesses of its day.
Frederick’s son Henry Hamilton (H.H.) Lewis entered the family business around 1900. He and his father re-incorporated the company as Lewis Implement and Seed Co. in 1918, buying out S.R. Chambers (of Chambers Seed Company). The business occupied several locations on Main St over the years, lastly at 315 W Main, before moving to the Spring St warehouses in the early 1940s.
The other family in this story is the Zwischenbergers. Joe Zwischenberger acquired Lewis Seed in 1948, directing its success for the next forty years. Joe’s son Mark took over the business in 1988, shepherding it through a period of consolidation in the seed industry. Today, Lewis Seed Company continues to provide the highest quality seed and service to its customers, just as it’s been doing for 152 years.